Current University of Arkansas System employees (excluding those at UAMS) including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view open positions. All Job Postings will close at 12:01 a.m. CT on the specified Closing Date (if designated). To view the job posting closing date please return to the search for jobs page. If you close the browser or exit your application prior to submitting, the application process will be saved as a draft. You will be able to access and complete the application through "My Draft Applications" located on your Candidate Home page.Type of Position:Staff (Classified)NoJob Type:RegularDay Shift (United States of America)NoInstitution Name: University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is a vibrant mid-sized public university dedicated to breaking the higher education mold by bringing truly transformative, hands-on experiences to every student. From high school seniors to senior professionals, first-generation students to second-chancers, our goal is to provide a high-quality, future-focused education that honors each student's unique, personal situations and goals. Our tiered approach to learning offers students access to more than 80-degree plans and programs including certificate, associate, bachelor's, and master's degrees. We seek to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse population of Arkansas, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, and perspectives.
Located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border and situated in a region of lakes, Fort Smith is the second-largest city in Arkansas and features a vast array of cultural activities, shopping, dining, and entertainment, including a thriving downtown entertainment district. Parks, trails, and water recreation are all within the city limits, and true outdoor enthusiasts will find the area's lakes, streams, and mountains offer adventure only minutes away from campus. Fort Smith was recently named by Forbes as the number one city in America for the cost of living, and a top city in the nation for the highest-paying tech jobs. The city is within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Thank you for your interest in joining our university. Below you will find details for the position including any supplementary documentation and/or questions you should review before submitting your application. For general application assistance or if you have questions about a job posting, please contact Human Resources at (479) 788-7080.
Department:UPD Public Safetyuafs.eduSummary of Job Duties:Works under general supervision in a team-oriented setting; is responsible for the enforcement of traffic and criminal laws, institutional policies, and parking regulations at an institution of higher education. This position is governed by law enforcement standards, and departmental and institutional policy. The position reports to department chain-of-command consisting of Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Chief.Qualifications:
If you have a disability and need assistance with the hiring process please contact Human Resources at 479-788-7080. Applicants are required to submit a request for each position to which they have applied.
Required Education and/or Work Experience: The qualified candidate must:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- Be free of any felony conviction(s).
- Be free of conviction(s) involving cases of domestic abuse.
- Be of good character as determined by thorough background investigation.
- Possess the formal equivalent of a high school diploma.
- Possess a valid, state-issued motor vehicle operator's license.
- Have a safe driving record.
- Have a steady work history.
- Be certified as a police officer in Arkansas within 12 months of employment.
Preferred Education and/or Work Experience: Be certified as a police officer in Arkansas or a state with reciprocity agreement.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patrols University properties to detect and prevent violations of laws and regulations; arrest and detain offenders and issue citations as necessary; assist in providing traffic and/or crowd control during periods of high volume and density.
- Operate emergency and non-emergency vehicles and communications equipment; investigate traffic accidents, reports of criminal offenses, violations of institutional policy and other incidents; complete accurate and detailed reports; and defuse disturbances.
- Provide emergency first-aid and assist other law enforcement agencies and emergency personnel; respond to alarms; conduct interviews and searches as necessary; monitor roadways and parking areas for motorist and pedestrian safety.
- Use tactics, including force as trained and equipped, in preserving the safety of citizens, oneself, and fellow officers; testify in court.
- Provide assistance as requested or needed by locking or unlocking buildings and offices; assist stranded motorists; communicate general and public safety information to students, staff, faculty, and the general public.
- Detect, investigate, and report breaches of facilities, property damage, missing property, and hazardous conditions; maintain uniforms and equipment; attend practical training.
- Maintain professional appearance and attitude; assist in safety and security planning and implementation for special events.
- Assist in planning and implementing public service programs and training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
- Knowledge of general law enforcement methods and techniques; knowledge of traffic and criminal laws, and parking regulations; ability to enforce laws and regulations, direct traffic, and maintain order.
- Ability to operate vehicles used in patrol duties.
- General knowledge of computers.
- Skilled in the operation of firearms. Ability to demonstrate safety and accuracy in use of firearms, and pass annual state requirement for fire arms certification, as well as departmental requirements.
- Problem solving: Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to maintain confidential information with absolute discretion in all matters. Ability to remain open to others ideas and try new things.
- Communication Skills: Ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; read and interpret written information. Ability to prepare written reports and logs and to edit work for accuracy and thoroughness, and to monitor own work to ensure quality. Requires STRONG attention to detail.
- Adaptability: Ability to adapt to changes in work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability: Ability to arrive at work on time consistently; follow instructions; respond to management direction; and solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Knowledge of University policy as it relates to the position.
Working Relationships: Works in a dynamic team of diverse faculty, staff, and students in a fast paced environment. Frequent contact with employees, students, and the public.
List Employees Supervised: None.
Special Job Dimensions:
- Occasional exposure to hazardous and/or stressful situations.
- Shift work to include all weekends and all holidays.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time in indoor settings, outdoor settings, and in all weather conditions at all times of day.
- Ability to give chase on foot and apprehend and detain subjects as permitted by law.
- Must be able to perform all job-related duties while wearing required uniform and duty equipment to include a body armor vest.
- Must be able to be recalled for duty at all times in case of emergency.
Background Check Requirements. Criminal background check, financial history background check, sex offender registry check, MVR (Motor Vehicle Registry) check, drug screening, physical examination, and psychological examination.$32,000-$35,000/year based on certifications
Cover Letter/Letter of Application, License or Certificate (see special instructions for submission instructions), List of three Professional References (name, email, business title), Resume, Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)Special Instructions to Applicants:
Required Documents to Apply:
Recruitment Contact Information:
All application materials must be uploaded to the University of Arkansas System Career Site
Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.Constant Physical Activity:Driving, Sitting, Standing, Talking, WalkingFrequent Physical Activity:N/AOccasional Physical Activity:N/ABenefits Eligible:Yes