Position Title:Orthopedics Technician - Children's Orthopedic Surgery ClinicDepartment:Children's Orthopedic Surgery ClinicJob Description:
Under supervision, performs casting procedures for orthopedic patients.
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without an accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Prepares injured area to receive cast then molds and wraps bandages to support injured area according to physician directions
- Removes whole and broken cast and alters position of cast to change setting of patient's limb as directed
- Assembles materials, designs and forms orthopedic splints as directed
- Adjusts crutches and canes to fit patient
- Instructs patient in care of casts and appliances
- Assists patients in walking with cast, braces and/or crutches
- Ensures that necessary inventory is maintained and that supplies are ordered
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education: Graduation from an Orthopedic Technician training program
Experience: None required. One (1) year of experience as an Orthopedic Technician preferred
OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
License(s)/Certification(s)/Registration(s) Required: Basic Life Support (American Heart Association) preferred. Certification from the National Board of Certification of OrthopedicTechnologists (NBCOT) or Registered Orthopedic Technologist from the American Society of Orthopedic Professionals preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Current OU Health Employees - Please click HERE to login.OU Health is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k), medical and dental plans, and many more. We know that a total benefits and compensation package, designed to meet your specific needs both inside and outside of the work environment, create peace of mind for you and your family.
- Thorough knowledge of orthopedic problems related to cast and traction appliance application.
- Knowledge of medical terminology as it applies to orthopedics.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques involved in casting procedures.
- Ability to follow exact written and oral instructions.
- Good interpersonal skills when interacting with staff and patients.
- Ability to maintain charts and records.
- Some computer knowledge.
Equal employment opportunities are provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Reasonable accommodations are made to the known physical and mental limitations of qualified individuals with disabilities.