Teacher (Preschool, Autism Spectrum Disorder)
3300 Henry Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19129
POSITION SUMMARY: The teacher establishes and maintains a developmentally appropriate preschool classroom that fosters a supportive learning environment for children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The teacher provides consultation services to the education team, and assists with the supervision of the educational staff as delegated by the Center Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare lesson plans, activities, and therapeutic strategies for use in the classroom as well as follow-up activities parents/caregivers may do to support the child's learning at home
- Supervise children at all times ensuring that their health and safety needs are met consistently, as guided by best practices and center policies
- Integrate each child's goals and objectives, as stated in their IEP, into classroom routines and activities
- Maintain and evaluate students through progress monitoring including, but not limited to, classroom observations, data collection, curriculum assessment, and portfolio assessment
- Consult and collaborate with parents, team members, school faculty, and other school/funding agencies regarding goal-related actions to support the child
- Develop and implement curriculum that fosters independence, self-concept, personality, character, emotional, social, physical, and intellectual development of each child
- Maintain rapport and communication with parents on a regular basis through parent newsletters, communication logs, and progress reports
- Delegate staff to participate in inclusion activities
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and crisis intervention using agency-trained protocols
- Perform other duties as assigned
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Center Director
CONTACTS: Elwyn staff, parents/guardians, school district staff, behavioral health staff, service providers
DIRECT REPORTS: None
- Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood/Special Education; Master's preferred
- PA School Certification in Early Childhood/Special Education
- Three (3) years' experience working with young children with autism spectrum disorder
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage and prioritize multiple, often competing, priorities
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated strong time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated excellent judgment with the ability to independently solve problems and make decisions with little or no need for direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate future needed changes or identify problem areas and take effective actions
- Must be able to perform CPR and crisis intervention using agency-trained protocols
- Must possess excellent customer interaction, collaboration, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated basic experience with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; Access, Publisher and report-writer experience preferred
- Must have current, valid driver's license in state of residence, three (3) years driving experience in the United States, and acceptable driving record
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENTAL PROFILE: See Physical Demands Checklist below which represents the general physical demands and environment conditions to which the employee holding this position must meet, in addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Elwyn will engage otherwise qualified candidates for this position whose disabilities may require reasonable accommodations to enable an individual to perform the essential functions.
Elwyn reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive statement of duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Elwyn does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, pregnancy status, medical condition, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, sexual orientation or identity, age, national origin, citizenship, handicap status, marital or family status, mental or physical disability, perceived disability, military or veteran status, political activities or affiliations, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law, ordinance, or regulation.
Autism Spectrum Disorder, PA Certified Teacher, Special Education, Early Childhood Education, School District of Philadelphia, Chester Upland School District, Chester Community Charter School, Upper Darby School District, William Penn School District, Penn-Delco School District, Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Education, Devereux, DCIU, Kaleidoscope, Delta-T, Staffing Plus
3300 Henry Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19129
Child Care, Education
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.