Cleveland-Cliffs, Inc. has an immediate opportunity for a Congineer (Locomotive Conductor/Engineer) role at our Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad. This role is responsible for contributing to the railroad Operations team by safely and efficiently performing all aspects of train and locomotive operation. Our ideal candidate will be accountable for safe & efficient work and operating practices, likes to work hard, is self-driven, goal oriented and resilient. Most importantly, will demonstrate a safety conscious mindset.
Starting Pay (85% of rate): $30.47/hr., with scheduled step progression and increases with certifications. This position falls under a collective bargaining agreement and wages are not negotiable.
- Responsible for safe and efficient work practices, including operation of trains and locomotives
- Operation of locomotive, requires the manipulation of throttle and brake controls as well as interpreting gauges and controls and making timely operational decisions
- Work on freight trains, take direction from conductor, foremen and supervisors
- Lines switches, couple cars, connects air hose couplings, performs switching, make up and break up of trains and road haul of trains
- Responsible for locomotive inspections
- Maintains accurate records during train operation
- Effective communication with customers and connecting carriers
- Develops and maintains positive and productive working relationships with co-workers and supervisors; demonstrates good communication skills, competence, good judgment, good work ethic, integrity, a positive attitude and character that inspires trust
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Minimum High School Diploma/GED required
- Railroad experience, preferred
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledgeable in the Transportation field/industry, preferred
- Must have the ability to effectively and accurately understand, interpret, reference, evaluate, organize and record non-technical and technical information
Certifications & Licensure:
- Must have the ability to become and remain General Code of Operating Rules (GCOR) qualified.
- Engineer/Conductor certification preferred. Must have the ability to become Engineer/Conductor certified.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires LS&I employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at .
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license
Work & Physical requirements:
- This is a call board position, which requires being subject to call 24/7.
- Must be able to manipulate valves and switches and operate handbrakes on both locomotives and cars.
- Position requires working safely and efficiently at heights of 75 feet or more, indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions, in, on and around moving heavy equipment such as rail cars, locomotives and cranes,in close clearance spaces with occasional exposure to fumes, noise, dust, dirt and vibrations.
- Ascends and descends steps and ladders to get on and off the equipment.
- Must be able to visually distinguish color signal aspects and with training, distinguish auditory signals.
- Must have the ability to frequently reach, push/pull and/or lift and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to 50 pounds and/or exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Must ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
- Must be committed to safety and have the ability and willingness to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits to prevent on the job accidents and injuries, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.Must utilize all protective equipment as assigned/required.
- Must work safely and efficiently and not cause a threat to the health and safety of self and others.
- Must have the ability to perform continuous physical tasks for extended periods of time.
- Safely and efficiently work, stand and walk on varied surfaces and uneven ground and/or climbing on/off equipment in varying conditions (concrete floors, gravel, rail car floors, snow, ore pellets, etc.).
- Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week in all weather conditions. Must be open to work any shift including nights, weekends, holidays and overtime and call-outs.
Specific Requirements: Qualified candidates are expected to successfully pass the required pre-employment requirements, which may include: written trade specific tests, interviews, background check, physical and drug/alcohol screening. Proof of employment eligibility (E-Verify) is required for any position offered. This position requires random testing for drugs and alcohol.
- Excellent compensation, benefits and wellness packages
- Retirement benefits
- Exciting variety of responsibilities
Our facilities, located in the heart of Michigan's Upper Peninsula and on the shores of beautiful Lake Superior, offer an area with great schools, reasonably priced homes and an abundance of outdoor recreation and leisure activities such as golf, skiing, hiking, hunting, fishing, ATV/hiking and biking trail systems.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call 1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.