Vocational Education School Counselor
Responsible for providing individuals with career, personal, social and educational counseling in a vocational school setting. Helps students evaluate their abilities, interests, talents, and personalities.
- Help students develop and implement realistic career and academic goals.
- Evaluate and advise students using interviews, counseling sessions, interest and aptitude assessment tests.
- Provide students with information on such topics as college degree programs and admission requirements, financial aid opportunities, trade and technical schools, and apprenticeship programs.
- Give information sessions on timely topics such as bullying, drugs, and peer pressure.
- Work with students who have special needs.
- Operate career information centers or career education programs.
- Provide classroom advice and guidance.
- Observe children during classroom instruction and play.
- Evaluate strengths, weaknesses, problems, or special needs.
- Ensure curriculum addresses both the academic and the developmental needs of students.
- Work in diverse community settings.
- Advise students about potential college majors, entrance exams, and financial aid.
- Help locate apprenticeship programs.
- Help students develop job search skills.
- Provide college career planning.
- Help students to understand and deal with social, behavioral, and personal problems.
- Provide the tools to enhance students' personal, social, and academic growth.
- Provide students with life skills to deal with problems.
- Lead alcohol and drug prevention programs.
- Hold conflict resolution classes.
- Identify cases of domestic abuse and other family problems.
- Consult and collaborate with parents, teachers, school administrators, school psychologists, medical professionals, and social workers.