Responsible for laying floor coverings in establishments such as buildings, restaurants, homes, offices, ad factories. Uses various materials, including laminate, linoleum, vinyl, cork, rubber, cement, carpet, wood, or tile.
- Inspect and clean surface in preparation for material.
- Measure area to determine amount of materials needed.
- Confer with architect or homeowner to determine ideal material and layout.
- Correct defects such as a sub-floor that is unleveled or contains rotted wood.
- Sweep, scrape, sand, or chip dirt and irregularities from base surfaces, and fill cracks with putty, plaster, or cement grout to form smooth foundation.
- Order flooring materials.
- Negotiate prices and provide estimates on how long the job will take.
- Cut flooring materials.
- Use adhesive to glue material to floor.
- Unroll and install polyethylene film.
- Install padded underlayer to reduce noise.
- Install floor covering and ensure there are no cracks.
- Clean up leftover adhesives.
- Mop up floors and inspect finished product for flaws.
- Replace any defective flooring material.
- Supervise flooring assistants.
- Work with carpenters, carpet installers, architects, engineers, and other workers to get appropriate job specs.