Job SummaryThe Senior Director of Corporate Development is a highly visible and strategically important position at a global public company. This critical leadership role contributes to the success of the company by developing and executing acquisitions and divestitures that achieve our strategic objectives. In this position, you will be a key member of Avantor's Strategy and M&A team, working closely with the EVP of Strategy & Corporate Development and others on the M&A team, and corporate functional leaders, and business unit teams across the company.
Manage and support the corporate acquisition initiatives in evaluating, negotiating and executing strategic acquisitions. Lead and participate on cross functional teams, working closely with Business Development, Commercial, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Legal, HR, Operations, Tax and other functions. Activities include:
- Ensure that acquisition target value propositions are appropriately grounded on financial strength, strategic criteria, and tactical objectives
- Supervise and conduct financial analysis and valuation activities and support pricing evaluations to ensure attractive returns
- Coordinate and manage due diligence activities, identifying key opportunities and issues, while ensuring all functional leaders are supporting diligence efforts and committed timelines are achieved
- Negotiate and support negotiations of pricing and other terms with sellers
- Coordinate with internal or external counsel to negotiate the transaction related legal documentation, including confidentiality agreement, purchase & sale agreement and transition services agreements
- Prepare and present leadership review materials, including board-level materials for transaction approval processes or regular pipeline/deal updates
- Plan and coordinate sign to close execution requirements, including supporting regulatory and financing requirements
- Lead and execute divestitures
- Help recruit, train, develop and mentor junior members of the Strategy and M&A team
- Become a trusted member of the Strategy and M&A team, helping us continue creating a positive, collaborative, fun, diverse, equitable, inclusive and high performance culture
- Other activities as needed to achieve the company and team's objectives
- A passion for strengthening, expanding and growing companies through acquisitions
- Proven track record in executing successful privately-held and public acquisitions.
- Strong financial acumen and analytical skills - including a solid understanding of fundamentals of financial statement analyses
- Strong transaction execution skills and track record of winning competitive deals
- Strong track record of being a team player within a matrix organization, with strong interpersonal and communication skills. Capable of managing cross-functional teams on fast-paced projects in a matrix organization
- Minimum of 7+ years experience in corporate development, private equity, M&A investment banking
- MBA or equivalent experience with undergraduate degree
- Experience in life science tools and pharma/biotech service industries preferred
- Willing to meet regularly in Radnor, PA or Boston, MA or other Northeast/Mid Atlantic locations as needed for in person team meetings (>1 day/month)
- Able to travel domestically and internationally as needed for transactions (~5-25%)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.
Colorado and New York Equal Pay Transparency:
Avantor is committed to equitable compensation practices. The compensation range for this role is:$159,000.00 - $270,000.00
Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as minimum and preferred qualifications, knowledge, skills, abilities, education, experience and location.