Be a part of the digital transformation in the global metals supply chain. Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc., a leader in the metals processing and distribution service center industry, is expanding its Data Warehouse group to add a Cloud Data Engineer to expand our cloud data capabilities. Your strategic responsibilities will include participating with developing and supporting cloud data structures (Azure/AWS) with a focus on enabling the Power BI applications that drive analytics and reporting for the Company.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses the Following Qualities:
* Strong quantitative and logical thinking skills combined with the ability to think creatively, envision relationships between data, and communicate those findings to key decision makers.
* Proven technical capabilities for developing, implementing and tuning cloud data structures used within modern BI systems and platforms.
* Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and understand new software products and concepts, including ability to self-instruct using available texts and other resources.
* Excellent organizational skills with emphasis on ability to organize tasks, manage multiple projects, create and maintain documentation, prioritize work and meet deadlines with minimal direct supervision.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to interact across multiple departments and levels within a medium to large size enterprise.
* Ability to work independently or with minimal instruction.
Professional and Technical Responsibilities Include:
* Identifying, creating, preparing data required for modern BI solutions.
* Designing, coding and testing data repositories needed to support software modules/applications.
* Building BI solutions using existed cloud provided services.
* Creating and documenting the tests to meet requirements.
* Deploying BI solutions into cloud environments and integrating them with other components in the application.
* Maintaining, tuning and adapting applications to keep them performing to specifications.
* Work with data from all business disciplines (Materials, Customers, Vendors ...) at all business levels (local, regional, corporate).
* Work with people from all business disciplines (Supply Chain, Sales, Operations, IT, ...) at all business levels (local, regional, corporate). This includes outside technical consultants when appropriate.
* Gather and document requirements for projects and reports as well as generate business user training materials including direct communication with internal and external stakeholders.
* Actively participate in the data collection, testing and validation for newly created and existing data sources as well as facilitate the data quality scorecards for same.
* All other duties as they are assigned.
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Analytics or Information Technology / Systems strongly preferred; degrees in quantitative majors such as Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain, Economics, Accounting, Finance or similar will be considered.
* Five (5) or more years of relevant technical or highly analytic business experience, with two (2) or more years in leading role supporting Cloud Data development.
* Experience in data engineering and cloud data processing services (AWS, Azure and/or Google Cloud Platform).
* Knowledge of SQL, Python, and other similar languages is preferable.
* Good understanding of ETL tools and related data movement concepts.
* Advanced level abilities in ad hoc analysis tools such as Microsoft Excel, including knowledge of pivot tables, v-lookups, and query writing to collect, transform and evaluate data to provide actionable information.
* Interest or experience in Big Data technologies (Hadoop, Spark, Data Bricks, Snowflake).
* Open mindset, ability to quickly adapt new technologies and learn new practice.
* Infrequent travel may be required.
About Our Team:
Ryerson IT Analytics is part of the office of the Chief Data Officer and supports key decision-makers across the company. Our toolset includes best-of-breed software such as Salesforce.com, Microsoft PowerBI, Azure Analytics, IBM Cognos, Oracle, SAP, and Informatica MDM 360, in addition to in-house resources for custom application development. We are proud to employ a diverse team of analysts and developers as we help build and maintain the systems that drive Ryerson's business.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, disability or genetic information, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other federal, state or local protected class or artificial barrier.