Job Summary*** Remote Role*** Candidate can be anywhere in the United States***
The Business Development Manager is responsible for enabling the growth of Equipment and Instrumentation Services in North America. This position requires experience in managing equipment and instrumentation services, effective territory management of services and service personnel, and management of sales, profit and expense goals. The manager supporting this multi-million dollar territory will be charged with creating and implementing successful strategies to further penetrate and develop valued added services in existing customers and supporting programs for the creation of new customers.
The Manager interfaces with key individuals within the customer's organization as well as Avantor Site Services Managers and Leadership, Avantor Operations and Field Sales Teams to understand the Customer's current and future service requirements. The Manager also interfaces with Avantor's global Equipment Services teams as well as selected external key partnering companies. Together, they are responsible for identifying, developing and implementing new service opportunities and growing the Avantor Services business.
As a result, extensive travel is required including travel to Customer locations and various Avantor facilities.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the definition of Equipment and Instrumentation Services.
- Selling Equipment and Instrumentation Services to clients
- Seeks out business opportunities with Avantor Services Onsite Management and Field Sales Teams
- Develops programs and selling strategies to motivate sales force and stimulate sales of equipment services to new and existing customers with a focus on capturing margin.
- Develops relationship in US with selected strategic service partners (external companies) and develops service agreements with key service providers
- Supports RFI/RFP/RFQ responses for equipment services aspects in US territory; hereby closely co-ordinates with all involved Avantor internal teams as well as external partners
- Develops and maintains successful customer and supplier relations.
- Develops and delivers internal and external presentations to customers, internal sales support teams, Avantor Services partners, external service providers, and related departments that demonstrate actions to achieve goals, solve problems or meet real customer business needs.
- Develops and improves services programs. Identifies new service opportunities and develops requirements, business cases, presentations, value propositions, tools and implementation plans.
- Performs other functions commiserate with the job, as needed.
- Experience with managing equipment and instrumentation services teams
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Minimum requirement of bachelor's degree in chemistry, biology, life science, or other science related field or equivalent experience
- Successful sales experience preferred
- Experience in the Lab Equipment Services industry
- Business process consulting experience preferred
- LEAN Certification and experience implementing such methodologies preferred
- Prior experience in project management of a corporate-wide initiative preferred
- Experience in establishing high level customer relationships
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Industry experience and demonstrated knowledge of Laboratory Equipment Management Services and Liquid Handling Systems
- Comprehensive experience with Project Management, such as PMP certification
- Strong negotiation, communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills; proven ability to interface successfully within all levels of an organization
- Ability to self-manage, self-motivate and display forward thinking; must be able to multi-task
- Good coaching , problem solving, trouble shooting and conflict resolution skills
- Working knowledge and understanding offinance tools
- Proficient in Microsoft applications for business
- Ability to positively influence others; ability to react to customer paradigm shift
- Presentation skills - meetings, proposals, negotiations and contracts
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
Typically, an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation, and a normal range of temperature and noise level. Visits to client laboratories or production areas, warehouses, outdoor, plant, research and university facilities are commonplace.
Work assignments are diversified. Interpret, comprehend and apply complex material, data and instruction - prepare, provide and convey diversified information.
Extensive travel is required including travel to Customer locations and various Avantor facilities. Frequent overnight travel is required. Position covers multi-state geographies, supporting multiple industry segments.
Minimal physical effort required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs. (e.g., papers, books, files and small parts, etc.). Moderate dexterity - regular application of basic skills (calculator, keyboard, hand tools, eye/hand coordination.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.
Colorado and New York Equal Pay Transparency:
Avantor is committed to equitable compensation practices. The compensation range for this role is:$93,000.00 - $158,000.00
Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as minimum and preferred qualifications, knowledge, skills, abilities, education, experience and location.