"Windstream is considered an essential business and we are HIRING NOW. As our company responds to COVID-19, the safety and wellbeing of our employees, customers, partners and communities is our top priority."
**This Position Follows a Union Bidding Process**
About the Role: Up to $29 HR
Construction Technician-Line Worker is responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining poles, cables and conduits; installing aerial and buried cables with associated hardware as required to build jobs; the running of fiber optic, copper and other necessary cable in the telecommunications space, both aerial and in underground infrastructure, such as manholes; maintaining the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety, manhole safety, attending safety meetings as requested; maintaining material inventory, DOT vehicle inspection; operate heavy machinery; and other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, splicing copper and fiber cable and any tasks associated with splicing cable. The job will include work on weekends, holidays, standby and unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel is required and may be over 50% of the year depending on the business needs.
What You'll Do:
- Install, repair and maintain poles.
- Install aerial cables (fiber and copper); set up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment as requested.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension using jacks, hoist and other equipment as necessary.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches/manholes as requested and required.
- Pull cable through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Ability to use a variety of construction equipment to complete installations, such as digger derricks, bucket trucks, back hoes, trenchers, or cable plows.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers' instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes as required.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues including but not limited to, hand hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control as required.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping devices
- Splice copper and fiber cables and tasks associated with splicing.
- Other work as assigned.