Fostered in over 178 years of history and expansion, Joseph T. Ryerson & Son, Inc. continues paving the way for ingenuity and innovation as one of North America's largest metal distributers. Ryerson provides high quality, essential products that our customers rely on, while creating teams of individuals who are ambitious and hard-working.
We are always looking for talented and motivated individuals because we understand that our people are our most valuable asset. We believe in promoting from within and providing the resources for long-term career progression and development.
If you are interested in working for an essential business with a global reach that is dedicated to a great work atmosphere, and a say yes attitude, Ryerson is looking for you!
Currently, Ryerson's Denver location has an opportunity for an Operations Manager.
The successful person will be responsible for managing the operations teams at the Denver and Salt Lake City metal service centers. Reporting to the Multi-Market Operations Manager, the primary responsibility of the position will be the overall management of service center operations. Accordingly, s/he will manage the input, throughput, and output activities to meet internal and external customer requirements.
Other responsibilities include:
* Management and motivation of supervisors and warehouse staff
* Promote and demonstrate a safe work environment (compliant with EPA/OSHA regulations)
* Demonstrate a high level of service internally and externally
* Develop and maintain internal and external customers
* Customer satisfaction management of Quality with a 98% on-time delivery requirement
* Management of production metrics, establishing best practices and benchmarking
* Logistics and delivery management
* Ensure the productive use of resources
* Implement continuous productivity improvements (use of LEAN tools)
* Management of production uptime for maximum equipment utilization
* Maximum raw material usage for best scrap utilization
* Maintenance and equipment efficiency management
* Management of operational expenses to provide lowest cost solutions
* Fixed asset management
* Annual capital budget forecasting and management
Critical Success Factors
* Ability to analyze complex situations and make timely decisions
* Ability to collect and analyze data to determine root cause of problem
* Ability to utilize the whole team and get along with location staff
* Ability to coach, train and otherwise help develop employees for advancement
* Ability to multi task when all projects are high priority
* Internal drive to succeed
* High school diploma or GED required
* Bachelor's degree is preferred
* 5 -7 years of experience in a management level role in an operations environment
* Military experience can be used as qualifying experience
* Metals industry experience preferred
* Knowledge in cut to length, oxy fuel cutting, plasma cutting, band saw cutting, and shearing is preferred
* Knowledge of SAP preferred
* Problem solving skills - Lean/Six Sigma experience preferred
* Data analysis skills (Excel a must)
* Knowledge of employment laws and government regulations
* Ability to train and mentor supervisors
* Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage changing priorities and multiple tasks
* Six Sigma black belt preferred or similar experience in continuous improvement preferred
* Demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making skills
* Experience working in a team-focused environment
* Experience in organizational and culture change management
Benefits of working for Ryerson:
* Competitive total rewards package
* Paid time off
* Casual work environment
* Heath & Wellness programs
* Tuition Reimbursement program
* "Ryerson Gives Back" initiative
* and more!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, disability or genetic information, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other federal, state or local protected class or artificial barrier.