The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The Africa Program at the Center for Strategic & International Studies (CSIS) is seeking a full-time, unpaid intern from June 1, 2020 who can support the Africa Program. The Africa Program works with diverse stakeholders to identify, elevate, and address strategic challenges and opportunities in sub-Saharan Africa. The key focus areas include shifts in Africa’s governance and security landscape; the future of Africa’s economies and social capital; and the rise of new foreign partners and nonstate actors in the region.
This internship position prioritizes the program’s social media activities and the publication of the Into Africa bi-weekly podcast series. Preference will be given to candidates who possess extensive work experience using social media platforms and graphic design software.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assisting with the planning and coordinating of CSIS events
• Representing CSIS at its events and interacting with high-profile speakers in a professional manner
• Performing a variety administrative tasks as needed
• Publicizing the program’s publications and events on a regular basis using various social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
• Innovating new ways to ameliorate the Africa Program’s use of social media
• Aiding in the planning, recording, editing, and publicizing of the Africa Program’s new podcast series
• Conducting supporting research for CSIS publications.
The intern is expected to work five days a week, Monday through Friday, for a total of 35 hours.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Current undergraduate juniors, seniors, graduate students, and recent graduates
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
• Must be eligible to work in the United States
• Must be able to commit to 35 hours a week
• Experience in professional settings using social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter required
• Experience using Adobe Photoshop required
• Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Must have impeccable attention to detail and coordination skills
• Must have the ability to work independently
• Must have the ability to manage competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
• A firm understanding and/or interest in African security, economic, and political issues and Africa-U.S. policy is preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit:
1. A resume and cover letter in one PDF document
2. An example of an Instagram post you have created in a professional context using Adobe Photoshop OR an example of other work created using Adobe Photoshop (preferably in a professional context)
3. A list of 3 references (including reference’s name, title, affiliation, email address, and phone number)
Please submit materials at: https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.