What you will do
Reporting into the Area General Manager leads a team of Market Sales, Service, and Installation leadership teams managing the Alaska market portfolio.
This position will establish team objectives and manage team efforts to achieve forecasted goals - will drive compliance to the JCI Safety Program for employees and subcontractors.
The Market General Manager owns full P&L and leads the strategy, alignment, and development of the sales, service and installation businesses for the HVAC, Controls, Security, and Fire organizations in the greater Alaska marketplace. The MGM is responsible for understanding market potential, key construction projects, represents Johnson Controls in construction industry events, and engages subject matter experts to support growth in the area. They will hire, retain, performance manage, and plans for career development of direct reports. They prepare and deliver clear performance expectations, performance reviews and development plans for direct reports.
How you will do it
- Ensures all employees work safety by championing and delivering a safe work environment for all employees.
- Drives excellence in all market teams.
- Drives accountability for revenue and executed margin results by business unit.
- Ensures safety, integrity, and ethics excellence in the area projects teams
- Drives forecasting and actualization of revenue and executed margin against forecast/plan across the area.
- Assures work force levels are appropriate across the market, by trade, by domain. Makes upward and downward adjustments monthly as needed.
- Assures installation operating cadence is consistent and functional in all local teams.
- Coaches and develops on all areas of performance.
- Pulls in SWAT/Subject Matter Experts for areas as needed based on identified weaknesses.
- Champions changes and Building Solutions North America (BSNA) initiatives.
- Provides feedback to BSNA Leadership for market trends, what is/isn't working well, market needs and program deficiencies.
- Participates in both Customer accounts and several large, high priority opportunity pursuits.
- Serves as an active member in the community.
- Company Values - Integrity first, purpose led, customer driven, future focused and one team.
- Embracing diversity and inclusion with all hiring decisions.
- Able to demonstrate strategic agility.
- Growth and Customer orientation. Proven growth leader.
- Broad knowledge of the buildings industry.
- Develop peer relationships within Market and across other Markets.
- Drive for results - successful previous leadership of large P&L's
- Situational, can meet leaders where they are and coach accordingly (i.e. not a one size fits all management style).
- Influential - can drive market leaders to adapt behaviors.
- Develop effective teams and motivate.
- Able to travel as required to support the area.
What we look for
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Business or equivalent work experience.
- Ten or more years of progressive responsibility in sales and operations management specifically in the buildings industry including five or more years direct management experience. Experience in one business is a must, multiple businesses is a plus.
- High-level competency in written and verbal communication.
- Strong presentation skills and proficiency in speaking to large audiences.
- Able to lead and direct cross-functional and cross-business unit project teams to achieve business results.
- Ability to lead, manage, mentor and inspire others. Knowledge of multiple levels with the supply chain organization.
- Polished presentation skills, multi-faceted thinker, and innovator.
- Strong ability to negotiate, persuade and influence.
- High level project management process competencies.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office (excel, word, power point), Adobe Writer, Visio, MS Project, basic windows environment and internet business application usage.
Who we are
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit .